Sunday, April 21, 2013

Video Game Revelation! Super Smash Bros Brawl


REVELATION!

                This tale begins way back on an extremely cold March 8th night in 2008. Several people were standing in line outside of a Gamestop including myself, in a fairly nice Pokemon Trainer costume, and Chris-chan, in a fairly old Hardee’s jacket.

Unfortunately, this was not our first run-in with CWC, but that is another story.

                The customers were freezing, we had been standing outside for hours, and we were waiting for the opportunity to pick up what had been on our minds for months: Super Smash Bros Brawl! But first there were two events we had to overcome, a costume contest and a midnight launch tournament.
First came the costume contest, which was an absolute joke. Those of us in costumes faced absolute asshattery, there were about 11 of us, and one worker at Gamestop making a joke with a pair of surgical gloves. We got down to the finalists which were me, I believe a Ness, and the Gamestop dope. Of course, the dope won, but meh. It was a silly contest for nothing. The real competition was the tournament, which was also wrought with asshattery. Everyone at the launch had to stand outside in the freezing temperature and await their turn. Once my turn arose I went in, my hands had grown so numb from the cold I couldn’t even feel the controller in my hands, and therefore couldn’t function correctly. I lost, needless to say. At that point, I finally got my hands on the copy I had waited so long for. After dealing with all the Gamestop idiots, I was certainly ready to go home and really play.

All in all, this was the beginning of when I stopped using Gamestop for stuff.
Flash forward some time later, and me and my group of friends have gotten quite a bit of playtime with the full game. The extensive amount of content in the Adventure Mode, Subspace Emissary, served for hours of gameplay, both alone and co-operatively, using it to unlock a full selection of characters for the other modes and in such an interesting way. The storyline was well executed even without any characters actually speaking. The Classic Mode was a wonderful throwback to the original game, as it should be, and the All-Star Mode was delightfully challenging. Of course, I haven’t even mentioned the extra challenges offered by the Home-Run Contest, Multi-Man Brawl, and the Boss Battles modes. Why, it takes forever to unlock absolutely every Trophy, CD, and sticker due to the various challenges required.

Was there ever a more beautiful sight to behold?

Of course, the game being a Smash Bros game, 99% of the playability is from the actual Brawl mode with other people. We spent days… Weeks! MONTHS brawling with the available characters. We had a group that could play most any character in the game and the raw gameplay kept us occupied completely for so very long! It seemed like the magic would last forever! Unfortunately… the game became a bit stale after a while and started to go the way of Melee…
However! Flash forward to 2010 when I was experimenting with modifying my Wii in order to play some homebrew applications. And this is when I discovered Brawl Minus, a modification of Brawl that put every character on a super human, and quite broken, power level. The new gameplay was exciting, of course, but with the advent of modifying Brawl, I learned that I could replace character costume slots with new textures, new costumes, and even entire other characters! This led me to start compiling a set of new characters instead of colored costume variations, which led to me gathering new stages that had been created, which in turn led to me gathering new music to accompany the stages. Eventually, I grew tired of the Brawl Minus Physics and switched back to the original physics.
As time went on, I kept compiling more and more until the game was so aesthetically different that it had become a completely different version of Smash Bros… So I decided it needed a name… it went quite some time without a name of its own, but finally, as of January 2013 I decided to call it Funfetti Brawl due to it being vanilla Brawl physics with a pile of flashy and seemingly random stuff thrown in. At Magfest 2013, I showed off Funfetti Brawl to the people that would truly love it and it went over spectacularly, never before had these people seen a fight involving Mario, Etna, Mega Man, and the mighty Billy Mays!


This is just a preview of Funfetti Brawl, if you want it, there’s instructions on the Youtube description and links for how to get some needed supplies below.

Now, you may be asking yourselves, “Why is he telling us all this!? Where’s the revelation!? Is he insane!?” Well, I’m not sane in the least and I wanted you to know the full story. As for the revelation, that would be this:

“For a video game to truly have a never-ending lifespan, it must have a method of absolute customizability. Therefore, limits are the angel of death for a video game.”


Brawl Shopping Link and Possible Supplies for getting Funfetti Brawl of your own:



No comments:

Post a Comment